Populus research commissioned by the British insurance Brokers’ Association and the Association of British Insurers have warned that:
- More than half (55%) of adults do not realise they must carry a motor insurance Green Card if the UK leaves the European Union (EU) without a deal
- 49% of UK adults believe it will be legally necessary to have European Breakdown cover if they are taking their car to the EU in the event of a no-deal Brexit
- Only a third of respondents had heard of a motor insurance Green Card and just 37% knew they need to obtain one
- 20% failed to identify that they will need a valid driving license to legally drives to the EU following a no-deal Brexit.
What this means for your customers
The legal requirements of the Green Card system mean anyone driving abroad under a UK insurance policy must carry a physical Green Card. If they intend to tow a trailer or caravan, they must also have a separate Green Card for that. For your Northern Ireland clients – this is particularly important for clients based in Northern Ireland, as Green Cards will be required to drive into the Republic of Ireland.
We’ve developed an online portal to enable you and your clients to request Green Cards directly, please visit greencard.zurich.co.uk.
Green cards requested through the portal can be:
- Emailed directly to brokers or customers to print locally. However, it must be printed double-sided on green paper,
- Posted directly to brokers or customers, but please allow 15 days for it to arrive.
- a “bulk upload” facility allows brokers or larger fleet customers to upload a single file of up to 200 individual vehicles or trailers. All requested using this facility will be posted, so allow 15 days for delivery.
If you have an questions, or would like to know more, you’ll find Q&A’s on our website at www.zurich.co.uk/brexit. Alternatively, please speak to your usual contact at Zurich.