At a glance
- Each year Stonewall publishes its Top 100 LGBT inclusive employers list
- We have improved by over 100 places since our last submission
- As one of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions, we take great pride in seeing an improved result
Stonewall, a UK charity organisation, advocates for equality for lesbian, gay, bi and trans (LGBT) people. Each year Stonewall publishes its Top 100 LGBT inclusive employers list based on entries to its Workplace Equality Index (WEI).
We are proud to be able to share that we have improved by over 100 places since our last submission.
The annual WEI is an opportunity for employers across the UK to be benchmarked in ten areas of policy and practice around LGBT inclusion, including employee lifecycle, role models, monitoring and community engagement. Stonewall’s benchmarking provides valuable insight on what’s going well and what areas need more focus.
As one of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions, we take great pride in seeing an improved result over the last two years and our Zurich Pride UK committee and wider network have been fundamental in helping make Zurich a more inclusive place for people in the LGBT community. There are several areas we know we can continue to improve in and will continue to work with Stonewall on best practice for our colleagues and customers.
Completing the index was a great opportunity to take stock of the work we’ve done to improve LGBT inclusion at Zurich here in the UK whilst shaping our ideas and goals for the coming year.
Here are some of our highlights from the last year:
- Provided Inclusive Language training for our Switchboard team
- Zurich launched its new Family Friendly policies, where parental leave is equal for all, no matter your gender or how you become a parent
- We supported Pride marches in four cities across the UK, with our CEO, COO and CCO joining us for London
- Hosted regional events encouraging all our employees to join the conversation about non-binary identities and intersectionality
- Recruited 15 Pride Advocates across our regional offices to support our employees in more locations than ever
- Published 12 LGBT and ally role model profiles from across our business.
“We’re committed to making Zurich a place where the LGBT community can not only be out and proud, but also know that they can be successful. I don’t think there will ever be a point at which we can sit back and say job done – there is always going to be more to learn – but it’s great to know we’re moving in the right direction.” – Marianne Cowie, Chair of Zurich Pride UK
Support– we are here to support our community by providing advice and care to all, assistance to managers, support for charity work and networking opportunities.
Education– We are here to educate our colleagues, both through our resources and within our daily activities by challenging assumptions and behaviours.
Conscience– We are here to act as the conscience of the whole Zurich UK business by being role models and by shaping the journey for colleagues and customers.